Wednesday, August 18, 2010

MariaDB - an alternative to MySQL

After Oracle bought Sun, I started wondering what would happen to our dear RDBMS called MySQL. So I started digging around and reading blogs about other developers that had the same concern as mine. And lo and behold I came across MariaDB.


MariaDB is a backward compatible, drop-in replacement of the MySQL® Database Server. It includes all major open source storage engines.
So what is really different about MariaDB? I needed to convince myself that I should change from MySQL to MariaDB. So I started reading about its features and I must say I like what I have read. So here are a few things I have found out:-
  •  More Storage Engine
    • Aria
    • XtraDB (drop-in replacement for InnoDB)
    • PBXT
    • FederatedX (drop-in replacement for Federated)
    • OQGRAPH
    • SphinxSE
  • Speed improvements
  • Better Testing
  • Fewer warnings and bugs
The idea is to make MariaDB a full drop in replacement for MySQL, which means:
  • From the user standpoint, things should be the as before, except that there are some new commands and things should be faster and more reliable.
  • Only that package name is different; All filenames, binaries, paths, ports, sockets etc should be the same.
  • Client libraries are binary compatible.
  • Data and table definition files (.frm) files are binary compatible.
  • Command should work the same.

Try it and give me some feed back.





1 comment:

  1. I am not sure the fear is warranted since ORACLE have set in stone its support for the opensource agenda of MySQL and believe any products that they are acquiring through mergers. In any case, MySQL business model for them works well since a sizeable number of large companies would still pay for a support contract that is a revenue to ORACLE. I do understand that sometimes big organisations will cannibalise any competition once they have been acquired but this may not be the case with MySQL, anyway I hope it isn’t.
    I think there being other alternatives is a plus in the opensource world but you will find that very little install base will be achieved by the alternate solutions mainly due to lack of documentation and a support community large enough to assist when thins go bad.

    http://kotinkarwak.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Afrigator